I was lucky enough to have two older sisters, they are 6 and 1/2 and 5 years older than me. My oldest sister Marie is a red head, my sister Ruth is a brunette, and I am blonde. My sisters had a lot of influence on me when I was growing up, since they are older than me, I was the student when they played school, the baby, when they played house, and the victim of quite a few pranks. They were great older sisters and they did include me, even at times I'm sure they wished their pesky little sister would leave them alone.
My sisters, Marie, Ruth and II think it must be hard to be the oldest child. It seemed from where I stood she had a lot of responsibility and expectation on her as the oldest. Marie was reserved, and sometimes fearful of things like high places, amusement park rides and etc., but she was a hard worker, and always very thoughtful when it came to others. I probably pestered and teased her, with the help of my sister Ruth a lot more than I should have. When Marie was in high school she worked at a Hallmark store part time. I loved going to visit her at work. I think it was a perfect job for her as she still to this day, never misses a birthday of any family member, or an anniversary and most holidays for that matter. I love getting her cards in the mail, birthdays and holidays just wouldn't be the same without a card from her. She is a great school teacher, a good mother, a hard worker (she runs circles around most everyone), a great cook, very organized, a good older sister, and also a great counselor and friend. I am so glad she's a part of my life.
I don't know what magic spell Ruth wove over me as a child, but I always took seriously and followed her advice, even when it wasn't so great. There was the time I was having bad dreams and thought I saw lions come alive in my curtains every night, she told me to think of all the bad things that might happen to me before I fell asleep and my bad dreams would go away. Let's just say I spent the next month sleeping on the floor in my parent's bedroom because I was so scared to be alone in my room. Then, there was the time in 3rd grade, I was very ill, I ran a fever for over 5 weeks and threw up almost every day, one day, she brought be an entire pitcher of grape juice and told me if I were to drink all of it down and keep it down, I would be much better. Poor mom, she cleaned recycled purple grape juice out of my bedroom carpet. In spite of the advice I loved Ruth and I let her talk me into quite a bit of mischief. Ruth is also a fabulous mother, a great writer, a hard worker, a good example of overcoming life's adversities, she has MS, but most people would have no idea. She has been a great older sister and a good friend and counselor as well. I'm so grateful to have two wonderful sisters.
Ruth, Marie, Me and cute little brother Jason
Me, Ruth, Mom and Marie1996
Roger, Marie, Me, Mike, Ruth, VaughnMom, Dad
Our goofy family picture2008
To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. ~Clara Ortega
Thank you dear sisters for being who you are and loving me for who I am! My life would not be the same without you!








0 comments:
Post a Comment