Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Mom

Moms always have a special place in the hearts of their children, and putting into words all the things that you are grateful for when it comes to your mother is an almost impossible task, but today I'm going to give it a try.

Sherald Griffin and Sylvia Jane Griffin Claridge

There are so many things I remember and treasure about my childhood and I must say that most of them had to do with my mom. Mom loved music and we would sing together a lot, she taught us all kinds of songs from silly to spiritual. One of my most treasured memories is when we would go to Thatcher for church and visit with Grandpa and Grandma Griffin, then dad would put a mattress in the back of his green bobtail pick up truck, dad drove and mom would lie there in the back with my older sisters and myself, we would look up at the stars, and sing songs until I drifted off to sleep. Mom also loved children's books and I think reading in general. I was one of those very lucky children who had a mother that read to them. She could read while we traveled in the car, so it was like having books on tape. Mom sewed most of our clothing, made a lot of our toys, made our quilts and created all kinds of wonderful and amazing things. She was a good cook and she let us help her in the kitchen, she would never make us do the dishes by ourselves, because when she was growing up that was her job, day in and day out 3 times a day for a family of 7, she was the 3rd oldest and the only girl for several years, she said she never wanted her children to hate doing dishes like she did. Mom was very organized and kept the house very clean and orderly. She got up early each morning and did some sort of cleaning chores before we ever thought about getting out of our nice comfortable beds. She would play all kinds of different music on the living room stereo, and on the mornings it was Hawaiian music, you knew you'd just better do what mom asked, those must have been the days she felt she needed a vacation. Mom always had a nice hot breakfast for us before school and we were lucky enough to be able to walk home for lunch as well.


Sylvia Jane Griffin Claridge

Mom always managed to have her chores done in the morning just after we left for school and if she wasn't home making a quilt or sewing, she was generally off helping someone else. I guess this DNA skips a generation because I am neither an early riser, or that organized and in tune enough to know who might need my help on any given day.

Mom planned great family outings, we went on picnics to Mount Graham, took several day trips around the state of Arizona, but I think my favorite ones were taking dad's big cattle truck filled with innertubes up on Mt. Graham during the winter. She never just sat out, she joined us in our trains and our other silly games. Mom was always my greatest cheerleader and encouraged my creativity, even though my skills are nowhere close to hers. She put up with me through my moody teenage girl years and helped me understand that happiness in life comes from within not from without.


Laura, Me and my Mom


Mom is also a wonderful Grandmother to my children, she played games with her grandchildren and always made them feel special. They have some really wonderful keepsakes like quilts and pillowcases and Christmas ornaments that she made for them, but the best thing of all are the memories they have of their Grandmother having fun with them.

I'm so grateful to my mother for the sacrifice and service that was given to me throughout my life. I love her so much and I will never to be able to thank her adequately.

0 comments: