Monday, November 8, 2010

My Dad

It's really hard to put into words what kind of influence your father has been in your life. But I am so grateful for the things he has taught me throughout my life and the love and support that he gave me.

Wilford Harlan Claridge


My dad was a rancher, he worked hard and he taught me how to work, mostly by his example, but also by his expectation of his children to help accomplish the many things that needed to be done at the Ranch. I admittedly was not the most skilled rider, nor was I good with most things that required coordination, but I was still expected to help. I remember many mornings being awakened before the sun came up, told to rise and shine, eating breakfast when you were not even awake enough to know what you were eating, but being told it was a long time until lunch so you'd better do so. Going out to the corral, dad saddling up the horses and being out to a pasture somewhere just as the sun was rising. I may have grumbled and complained at the time, but now I'm grateful dad made me, and I think now I'd really appreciate the beauty of the sunrise as well.

When I was about 4 my parents bought a home in Thatcher, so my sisters and I could attend school. That required my dad to get up at 2 or 3 am to drive to the ranch to get his day started. We slept safely in our beds as he headed out the door. As a child I never thought about the great sacrifice he made each day. Even though it was a bit of a drive to and from the Ranch dad never missed one of our concerts or games.

Dad was a good example in fulfilling church callings, I remember when he was ward and Stake Librarian, he would bring home all the filmstrips and new media and have us view them as a family so he was familiar with all the things in the library. He was also a very faithful home teacher, and set a great example for us in his service that way.

I love to hear my dad laugh. It is one of those laughs that starts out as a bit of a hiss, then turns into full blown laughter. I also love that he like Ice Cream so much, though we used to tease him a bit about it when we were on family vactions as he would disappear for a while, but we'd always just look for the nearest ice cream place, and sure enough that's where he'd be. Dad would also play games with us, I remember one time for the sake of winning charades he put a pot on his head, it was supposed to help us get "Silent Night", let's just same our team failed to get it. He purchased a pool table and for a while we kept it on the carport, until the basement addition was finished on the house. I remember listening to conference on the radio, while shooting pool with dad. Something that surprised me when I got older was that dad was also a fan of Shakespeare. Dad also did the dishes on Sundays and gave mom some time to relax after our Sunday meal, we were all supposed to help him but for some reason, all of our bladders needed to be emptied at the same time and it took a while to find our way back to the kitchen, usually about the time dad was wiping off the counters. There are many other memories of my dad from my childhood, but I think these give you somewhat of an idea of the things I am grateful for.

Dad and me at a Daddy Daughter Picnic

About 9 years ago my dad had a stroke, along with a few subsequent strokes and a heart attack. These health issues have limited what he has been able to do and changed his life quite a bit. It's been hard at times to see my father in this state and stage in his life, no longer able to ride his horses or do the other things that he enjoys, but I am grateful for the small things, like being able to talk with him, hear him laugh when watching old movies, sitting next to him in Church and hear him softly sing the Sacrament hymn and to give him a hug because he is still here.
I will never be able to adequately express the grattitude and love I have for my father, he has been a great example and support in my life.

0 comments: