Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Elder Millett is now serving in the Manaus Mission - He's hard to keep up with!

To Mom
that's cool that the trip went really well. I'm kind of jealous of the nice cool weather, because the sun is a killer here. And to top it off we played soccer when it's gotta be 110 degrees out. I hear it isn't too bad compared with Cuiaba, which reaches about 130 degrees sometimes. So i've got some cool news for ya. Last week, out of nowhere, we received a call about a surprise tele-conference we'd have with our president. We knew that yesterday would be his last day, but he gave us some really important news that is... I'M apart of mission Menaus now! With the new wards and stakes added recently they split the mission of cuiaba and gave a portion to the mission Brazil Menaus. That portion is the part that i'm in now and a few other cities! so, as official of today, i'm part of the mission brazil menaus, so i get to say i served two mission, Brazil Cuiaba AND Brazil Menaus. Everyone's so excited! And this brings up a question i have, do you know what mission Brandon Lewis is serving in Brazil? I thought it might've been Menaus. If it is, we're now serving in the same mission! As for the package that you were asking about, it needs to be mailed to:

Rua Loris Cordovil
1066. Alvorada 1
Manaus,AM 69043-010
Brazil

I still haven't gotten the other package, but Mission Brazil Cuiaba is sending all the packages and letters now directly to us, and all the future ones too. Also if you could include in the package something that will teach me pronunciation in Spanish, maybe a cd or something that teaches spanish, that'd be pretty cool 70% of the words in portuguese are the same in Spanish, so i think it'd be something cool to take advantage of and learn. A jumpdrive would be great to have for my camera. somewhere around 8 gigs or more if possible. Don't want my camera to get stolen with all pictures that i've been taking, and besides, it'll be great to put all my pictures on that, remove the pictures from my camera, and just reuse the same memory card. also can you send me some church music (music with hymns or something) where there's one person only singing portuguese? I think that'd be great to practice the pronunciation. Also my watch went all weird on me so i need a new one, preferrable something of rubber or a similar material with a battery that'll last a year and 3 months.

I'll make another cd with all the new pictures on it. Can you tell me what was the last picture on the last cd that i sent you? That way i don't copy all the photos that i already took. Maybe you can attach to the next email you send, or maybe just describe it.

The lady isn't baptized yet, but i talked with the elder that's working with her now, and he says that she's reading the book of mormon a lot and will be baptized soon. The mexican food we made was GREAT. I loved it a bunch. I'm not sure when i'll get to meet my new president, but he said something in an email to all the missionaries that they're going to reorganize the schedule of the meetings and things to suit the situation of adding us to mission brazil menaus... maybe that means he's going to make a quick visit to get to know us, maybe give and interview or something... not sure. That's cool that zack is getting out finally. I hope he has a great time in the MTC... tell him to enjoy it, because it's the last pieces of america he's going to see for a while... nice beds... clean area... not a bunch of cockroaches... just about everytime we return home from work, i've got to kill a roach. The man was right about the wildlife. I was utterly horrified to see what the size and appearance that the cockroach can reach. I was walking home one night and i saw something about the size of my foot, and i stopped and looked a little closer to see it was a dying cockroach, more like 3/4 the size of my foot. The normal cockroaches i've seen don't look like they can bite, but this thing looked like it'd do some damage. It's mouth was long and big... i should've taken a picture. i hope they stay in the sewer. to kill that thing in the house would make a huge mess. It'd be even worse if it could fly. The other gross wildlife i've seen is rats, but never had the "priviledge" of finding one in our house. I've heard stories from the other missionaries though.

So i hope that everything's good, that you're happy to be back from the trip and that work and the family are good. If you see Zack before he leaves tomorrow, wish him good luck for me! Have a good one mom, love you so much, talk to you next week!
Love, Andrew

that's cool that mom made some cd's. I asked for some music in portuguese so i can practice my accent. I found out this week, that some pronunciations of the same letter change slightly, without much reason than tradition, and that the only way to sound brazilian is to get to know really well each word that has these slight strange pronunciations. This week was pretty dang cool. We found out last Friday or Saturday that the mission Cuiaba is being split... and that the part of the mission that i'm in right now will go to mission Menaus! As of today, i'm officially part of mission brazil menaus. My new president is President Jayme. He seems like a cool guy. I think he'll come to visit us in a conference or something soon, but we'll see how it all goes. This might mean that i'll be able to actually use a backpack instead of some form of a handbag! He didn't explain any extras rules that he has, but there's a rumor that we won't be able to drink coke. I don't really care about the coke, but some of the other missionaries we're getting a little frustrated about it. I almost forgot about the 4th of july celebration. Did you guys make any plans to do anything or is it going to be another normal day there? Ah, don't worry too much about the calling.  But let's remember D&C 121. "And if you endure all these things well, you'll have blessings." I know it's not exactly like that but it's something along the lines there. So laura is at efy, and you and mom have the house to yourself? Is it good to have a bunch of the summer to yourself, or how's that all going for ya? This area that i'm in is filled with a bunch of really cool people. We're starting to do alot more contacts to meet some new investigators. This area is a little weird, because it's two areas combined, so it's kinda big, and has two wards inside of it. Not really used to that, but you meet a lot more good people. We played soccer out in the 110 degree weather. It's always fun, but man this place is hot. We made mexican food last week and it was way good. Even made Guacamole. I've been craving a good carne assada burrito but i think that'll hold me over.

I hope that the work and everthing is going good there, and that you're enjoying your alone time. Have a good week and i love you a bunch! talk to you next week!
love, Andrew

1 comments:

mamajo said...

Hi - Brandon is in the Goiania mission and he is in Anapolis right now. I don't know how far away that is from Andrew, but that would have definitely been cool if they were in the same mission!