Wednesday, December 3, 2008

And now another episode of the........Cockroach Hunter

Everything’s still been going well here. Yesterday was stressful because the music people wanted me to learn a hard song on the piano for the choir with only a day and a half to practice and perform. The performance went really well anyways though; I should’ve had more faith and not worried so much.
The language is coming more and more each week. Last time proselyting was great. I was able to convince a Baptist to call the number on the card and receive more learning about Jesus Christ in Portuguese. She was a little difficult and didn’t want to hear the message at first, but when I explained we also believe in Christ and that this was just more about Him and His gospel she accepted it. Also we had an extra Book of Mormon to hand out so I took it and gave it to a family that was very sincerely interested and stopped to hear our message. For one man that we gave the book to, we even opened up to Moroni´s challenge and invited him to read call the missionaries and pray to know that it was true and that there is a God. The people here are very friendly.. And when they’re not, we pretend we can’t understand that they don’t want to listen and go into the short message. Something in it usually catches their interest; usually when we speak of having a prophet today like Moses or Abraham and apostles like Peter (90% of the country’s catholic so they’re familiar with these people).
The scripture was the second one you were saying, that one and the two verses before it. It’s very powerful, and can be associated with any sin that we may have a hard time getting over. Seek the kingdom of God first, and everything else falls into place, making us happier than we could originally make ourselves.
We’ve had a great week this week. Last P-day we had pizza hut pizza. Our teachers have been way nice and friendly. Sunday we had a creepy experience sort of. We were all getting ready for dinner, and putting on our clothes, and Elder Walker in my district, put on his shoe and felt something squirming around. He took it off and this giant cockroach fell out. We all stared at it trying to figure out what to do, and about 4 other guys came in to see what was going on. I tried picking up a Frisbee and getting it to go onto the Frisbee, but it just started flying around! Eventually it went back under into the desk area where the chair goes and was trapped. So Elder Leitch, my companion, grabbed his bug gun and shot it. We got some great pictures and our District Leader got a great movie of it, that ill try and send you. That night some of the guys did what was called Human Jousting, where there’s 4 guys, 2 vs. 2, 1 is a horse and the other is a knight that piggy back’s on the "horse". Then they charge down the hall, the knight’s arms out in front, and hit each other, trying to knock each other off. We got some great videos... which came in great use the next day. One of the guys in our district mentioned that we got some great videos the night before to our teacher. He wanted to see, but we made him promise first that he couldn’t get mad at anyone for it, since he has a lot of power being the supervisor over the other teachers. We showed him and he wanted to pull a prank on the other district that jousted with us. So he went and got them and talked to them a little bit and brought them into our class. Our teacher played his part well, because everyone thinks him way serious but my district. He showed them the movie, and said one of the leaders of the CTM will talk to them that night, and they’ll go home in two days. They got really scared but then we told them it was a joke and they were fine, no one was getting in trouble. Then we did the same thing to our AP or the Assistant to the Presidente, because his face was clearly in one of the movies and he didn’t do anything to stop it. I got the one of the AP on video, so maybe I can send it so you can see our classroom, my teacher, district and so on. We also had last Wednesday Christmas night, Where we got out of class early, sang Christmas carols, ate ice cream and took tons of pictures. We got some way good ones, and there’s some that are so funny because of these inside jokes I´ll explain. I forgot my SD Card upstairs but I think some of the other guys brought theirs so I´ll try and send some. I did get a picture of Elder Millett with two "t´s" but he pronounces his Elder milLETT, with emphasis on the last part. Sounds
like the ending of Gillette.
Thanksgiving lunch was AMAZING. We had turkey, mashed potatoes, and it was all very excellent. Loved it. That was pretty much it for this week; it was a pretty good week, probably the best so far. Thanks for the update on everyone back home, tell them I’m doing way good, and that this is my final P-day here in the MTC. I leave in 5 days to Cuiaba so I’m way excited. I’ll talk to you later! Love you!
-Andrew

2 comments:

tidwell said...

I love that you post Andrews missionary experiences!

Barbara said...

I love reading about Andrew. I can picture his stories and it makes me laugh!