Saturday, July 16, 2011

Annual Trip to St. George and Cedar City

This year we were gone for a whole week. We left Saturday the 9th from Thatcher and drove to St George - It was a long drive but we made it safely and were so glad to get checked into our very nice condo - We went and bought some groceries and my sister Ruth and I decided to go for a walk, it was 10 pm and we got lost, so my sister Marie who is not directionally impaired came and found us, about 11:30 after that Ruth and I only walked when the sun was still up.

Church in Pine Valley
Last year we went and toured this church pictured below (these are pictures from last year) It is a really neat old chapel that was built by shipbuilders and in a couple of pictures below you can see that the roof fram is actually an upside down ship, they have a branch there so we decided this year we would attend Sunday Meetings there.

Aunt Sue, Ruth, Me, Mom


When we arrived for the meeting it was kind of crowded and it was taking a long time to get into the chapel, we decided to head for the benches that were behind the small podium, as we were walking up there, we noticed a lot of people were standing around someone on the stand, my sister Marie and I went to our seats and both looked at each other and asked, "Was that Jeffrey R. Holland." and it was, he grew up in St. George and his grandparents had a home there where he spent his summers. He was there with his wife and his sister. We had a nice meeting, one speaker talked about being in good company, another about our great heritage in this country and then some time was turned over to Elder Holland, he actually apologized to the speakers for taking their time from them, talked to the youth about understanding the heritage we wanted to pass on to them and told them, "We have been your age once, but you have never been ours, so please be patient with us." He shared a few other thoughts and then the meeting came to a close. We went to Sunday School, they meet in the chapel, it's a very small building, YM/YW is in the attic and Primary is in an old stake office. It was so neat to be in the Sunday School class with an apostle, the lesson was excellent it was on the cruxifixion, the funny thing was, the teacher had no idea Elder Holland was coming and he had selected several quotes by him for the lesson. It must be strange to be sitting in a class and have your own quotes read. Next it was time for Relief Society, I needed to use the restroom so I got back upstairs after half of the introductions had been made, which meant I missed Sister Holland's and his sister's introductions, of course my group was sitting on the front row, left side of the chapel and we were the last to introduce ourselves. I said my name and out of the corner of my eye I saw Elder Holland's sister (at that time I didn't know her name) nudge Sister Holland, thought it was kind of funny but sat down and enjoyed the lesson. After the lesson was over his sister Debbie headed toward my side of the chapel, I assumed she was going to talk to someone she knew, but she came up and introduced herself to me, she was married to a Millet from Utah that served his mission in Mesa, he also descended from Artemus Millett like my husband. Small world sometimes and a way cool experience.


The plays we saw in Cedar City were the Music Man and Noises Off, I wasn't too impressed with llatter, we also saw the Green Show that's always fun.


At Tuacahn we say Grease (the cleaned up version) and Little Mermaid Disney style with a few more songs in it, it was really cool how they staged everything.


On Thursday, we drove to the Grand Canyon, North Rim because my mom had never been to that side, had lunch at the lodge and then stayed the night in Flagstaff.


It was a nice trip, fun memories, good food, and I'm glad I got to spend time with my Aunt, my sisters and my mom! Thanks mom for the trip!

0 comments: