Today is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, my husband had a distant relative by the name of Frances Davis Millett, an artist, who perished in that sad disaster. The Hollywood version has been rereleasd in 3D and there are commemoration ceremonies being held today. It fascinates me that though this was a great tragedy and many people perished, that it somehow dwarfs so many other greater tragedies that were caused not by human error, but human greed and sinister minds. This story has "romance" attached to it, while so much of our history has carnage and devastation and even greater loss than those passengers on that ship. So many have had the heartache of losing loved ones in very different ways, but the personal grief and heartache, though grieved differently have a universal pain. I think of that on a smaller scale in our own lives, so many of us struggle with trials, whether they be illness, stuggling family members, finances, and etc., we seem to be able to make heros of those who have incurable diseases like cancer or a heart condition or are injured in an unexplainable accident and we are there wrapping our arms around them and offering whatever help we can, and yet in other circumstances, because we don't understand them we stand afar off and let them "figure it out" alone. There's somehow nobility in terminal illness or a sudden tragic accident, but struggles, devastation and loss in any other form are hard for us to place our charity around. I suppose that is just human nature, but, perhaps we need to learn to recognize our spiritual natures and quit putting conditions on who and what is worthy of our care and concern. So, my goal is to stop looking to the "luxury liners" for the place to lift and serve, and find those people who must find the courage to face just one more day of their trial, trusting that they will be strengthened by their faith, being reminded that God is aware of them and their needs, and he will show them his fingerprints through those that are here to help them, even in the smallest ways.
Today is also the tax deadline, well, actually it's been extended a day since the 15th falls on a Sunday. I always find myself amused by the news stories showing people driving up to post office drop boxes late into the night so they can have the proper date stamp on the envelope proving they submitted them in time. I just want to ask, "Do taxes surprise you?", the deadline is the same date year after year. I know we don't like paying them, but why do we feel the need to put off preparing them to the very last minute, thinking we will somehow be spared from the result of either owing or receiving a refund. I will admit, I don't like preparing my tax forms, but I don't like feeling like everything I do in my life has to be left to the last minute. "There are 2 things that are certain in this life, death and taxes." Perhaps there is a third certainty, no one wants to pay them. I wish all of those who haven't finished their returns the best and hope you get them or your extensions in the mail before the deadline!
Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Titanic and Taxes
Posted by mpal at 11:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment