Thursday, September 17, 2009

"A bunch of fun and interesting news."

Hey family!
So this week has a bunch of fun and interesting news. So last week, we were doing contacts and visiting people, and then we went to visit a recent convert and see if we could get some references. But she ended up not being there, and only her roommate who we were trying to baptize. The conversation started off normal, until she started randomly talking about how she wants to go to Las Vegas and find a man and get pregnant and go home. Pretty random right? But she keeps talking, and then ends up asking me to come after the mission to make a white blue eyed baby with her. We explained once again about the law of chastity, and so her solution was asking me in marriage. So... that was really really... really awkward. So, I told her to search here for a man, in the church, showed her the picture of a family in our pamphlet, and told her this is what brings happiness... not just babies... then another weird but much less awkward experience was yesterday. We did a contact with a guy named Marcos (Mark in English) in the street and he seemed cool. We walked with him to his house and we were about to give the first lesson when.... Marcos decides to reveal his true identity as, a prophet of God. And he invited us to be his disciples. The plan is simple. He tells when someone is about to sin, and he sends us to that person to stop them before they sin. We'd be his angels. My companion just stared at him, not even knowing what to say. So we didn't laugh or anything, we just kind of looked at him. I asked him a few questions like "So, how did you find out you're a prophet?" His response was simple. "I was praying one night to God, and it was a powerful prayer, and i was crying, and talking in unknown languages... and that's when i knew." So, we explained that we're already working under the guidance of a prophet and how we know he's a prophet. He just looked at us calmly and accepted it... almost. He wanted to get our first names and cell phone number but, although the offer was great, we had to decline. I had already heard a little bit about him from some of the neighbors but didn't realize it was him they were talking about. He's served in a few combat situations and he's gone a little crazy. So, we almost became his "disciples" but it's probably not a good idea to make a crazy soldier mad... might end up like Rambo or something... so we just declined politely and went on our way. We marked a baptism on Monday with a man named João. It was our first visit with him, he liked and the spirit was really strong after the first vision with Joseph Smith. We also almost marked a baptism with another guy named Elvis. We asked him where his mom got the name from, but he didn't know. I bought the glasses. They're really sweet. I like them a bunch. I would send a picture, but the computer doesn't have a slot for the memory card. Just for a pin drive, so I'll send some pictures next time. last week, the email site was going crazy, and so was the computer so I couldn't send the pictures. Sounds like dad had an interesting week at work. That's cool that leslie and jaycen had their baby. so it came out alright? ... I think the cockroach problem isn't that there's a bunch of cockroaches in the house, because I sprayed raid all around the bottom of the walls in our house, so right when they enter they die for up to 6 weeks, but there's so many that enter in and die in the middle of the floor that we have to clean up everyday. The mission still hasn't told me anymore about the package... i could pay $100 to get it out... we could just wait for around November December time when it's like 6 reais for every dollar to buy a new razor and stuff. Get stuff wayyy cheap. That's cool that Greg left for his mission now. That's cool that Elder Silveira wrote you guys... Did he do it English, or did you guys have to use google to translate it? Well, I'll try to send some pictures to you guys. Thanks for your emails! Love you guys. Have a great week!
-Andrew

0 comments: