Today, my father passed away at the age of 87. So many thoughts and feelings flood my heart and mind. Dad had been sick for a while, then last Sunday, he fell and broke his collar bone. He took his last breath early this morning around 5 am. Dad used to tell me that in his mind he never thought of himself any different than an 18 year old, until his feet hit the floor every morning. My first thought when I heard that dad was gone, was that he got to be 18 all day.
I do not have the words to adequately give tribute to my father or express how much I will miss him. He was a man of many great qualities. He was honest, caring, forthright, hard working, of good humor, prayerful, obedient, service oriented, just to name a few. Dad was a rancher, but he loved learning, he was good at math, played tennis and softball, and of all things liked Shakespeare. He loved ice cream, if you couldn't locate dad when we were on vacation, if you found the nearest ice cream shop, he was usually there. He loved sports, especially our home team, but watched baseball, basketball and football on TV as well. He was a man who was faithful in his church service, and one of the most diligent Home Teachers ever. Dad served a mission in the Western States Mission, and he loved telling about his many experiences there, it was truly a highlight of his life. I loved staying up late at night talking with dad about his past experiences and gleaning the hard earned wisdom he had. I could write a book, but it still would not be adequate to honor a man who guided me through my life for 52 years. I will certainly miss him, his laugh, his smile, and his love.
Wilford age 5 1/2 months
Wilford and his dog Tuff
Missionary Picture
Lila and George, Sylvia and Wilford Claridge, Lucile and Robert Griffin
June 7, 1956
Dad's winning smile!
Dad riding to the bottom of the Grand Canyon - 1990












0 comments:
Post a Comment