Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"There is no warm water, welcome to Brazil!" and some pictures

Hey family! This week I did clean the house. Last Wednesday I ran into a lot of interesting spiders, which I took some pictures and Ill be sure to send them to you. And yes, now they're all dead... at least in our kitchen and front area... I'm planning on cleaning the bathroom today and the main room if there's time. and I think I learned well from you mom because I'm moving our fridge and moveable-counters to clean everything. I think you guys would be proud :) my old mission president said the same thing. We need to make "a house of order" so that we can have the spirit and such with us or more powerfully with us. This week was a jampacked service week. Basically we did construction work on the houses of two members. The first one we had to shovel dirt and transport it from the backside of a house to the front, and the other was we had to remove water from a giant square hole in the ground and complete the hole. it was pretty deep, very hot, and very dirty and we had to return the next day to complete it. But the members were cool and rewarded us with a BBQ and stuff. Not much else happened outside of that. We're teaching a bartender now. He's pretty cool, and has recently taken an interest in God again he says. He stopped us in the street. It's kind of interesting because these past two-three weeks people just have been stopping us in the street to find out more about the church and receive a visit. Really this is a great area. I am still showering with a bucket every night. It's not so bad. haha I remember when I first arrived here and I asked how to make the water warm. He just said "there is no warm water. welcome to Brazil." We find out today if we'll have a transfer this monday. So far haven't heard anything, but we'll see what happens. I want to see Manaus and work in an area with the church already developed! I think it'd be an interesting change. 

I really don't need anything right away. It would be nice to have two more shirts. I seem to run out the day of p-day every week so I've got just barely the right amount. With pants none of them have broken or anything still. If you could send two packs of One-Source vitamins with Ester-C that'd be great. That'd last the rest of the mission. and just two big bags of starbursts. I can't chew gum so don't need to send anymore (according to Andrew the mission rule is they can't chew gum in public). I think the two packs you sent will last for a while. The Brazilians really like the American gum... haha. Also 3-4 more pairs of socks. I think that would last me for another year and some. So that's basically it for me here.  Thanks for everything! Good luck with highschool Laura. We have to use those last two paragraphs everytime we teach about the Book of Mormon. And good luck with off-duty job hunting dad, and mom with the scrapbooking and work. Love you guys a bunch! Have a great week!

-Love Andrew

"All the dirt we had to move."

"My companion in the giant square we were excavating."

"Me shoveling dirt into the wheelbarrow."
( I find this kind of amusing, as when Andrew was younger he loved to dig and would spend lots of time in our back yard digging a hole. We didn't realize how productive he was until one day he nearly hit some underground wires.  He's got a lot of experience using a shovel.)

"A giant, fat, juicy catapillar that we saw while waiting to play soccer!"
(Not sure whose hand that is, Andrew's fingers are much longer.)

"SPIDERS.... there was also one more that I saw in the house of a member on a wall that was bigger than the size of my hand, but it was hidden a little so I couldn't get a very good picture."


"Velveeta cheese that you guys sent."
(This was one of Andrew's all time favorite snacks, he made it almost every day after school when he was home.  I don't think he ate lunch at school."

1 comments:

Heather said...

Oh My Gosh!!!!! That spider is scary!!! I would die. I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night.